Billing and Coding Specialist
Projections of Employment
According to California Labor Market Information (LMI) the number of Medical Coders is expected to grow much faster than average growth rate for all occupantions. Jobs for the Medical Coders are expected to increase by 12.8 percent, or 2,000 jobs between 2018-2028.
In Sacramento Metro Area, the number of Medical Coders is expected to grow much faster than average growth for all occupations. Jobs for Medical Coder are expected to increase by 15.8 percent, or 250 jobs between 2018 and 2028.
What Medical Coders Do:
Medical Records and Health Information Technicians play a vital and unseen role in the quality of health care. They manage patient information and health care data ensuring privacy and security of protected health information and compliance with electronic data interchange standards in order to advance the delivery of quality health care. Managing health information has evolved from working with paper medical records to ensuring electronic information is accessible, accurate, and secure. Health Information Technicians work in health care settings where health information is captured, maintained, or used.
Medical Coders are responsible for coding patients’ medical information for reimbursement and research purposes. They assign diagnosis and procedure codes using software that calculates the diagnosis-related group (DRG). The DRG determines the hospital’s reimbursement for services for Medicare inpatients and some third-party payers. Coders work with other reimbursement systems, such as those required for hospital-based ambulatory care and outpatient surgeries, physician offices, long-term care, home health care, rehabilitation services, and mental health.
“Enrolled in EGACE because after researching the colleges it would take too long. Then she found us on the web, liked what she saw and enrolled.”
Rosaline A.Billing Coding Specialist Graduate
Become a Medical Coder
The EGACE’s Medical Billing & Coder program is 14 week online program and trains graduates in all of the basic training required to work as a entry level medical coder.
EGACE’s graduates qualify to sit for the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT) National Certified Insurance & Coding.
$1500.00, includes all textbooks, materials, one NCCT Certificate exam.
Students are responsible for understanding the EGACE refund policy, CTI Refund Policy.
EGACE's Online Billing and Coding Specialist Program Information
Billing & Coding Specialist 2022-2023 School Year Schedule
Distance Learning (Online)
Program hours: 432
Fall Session:Session 1: October 31, 2022-February 3, 2023
Session 3: February 27, 2023-June 2, 2023
Online classes allow students more flexibility to juggle careers, school, family, and other commitments. Online instruction also increases student-teacher one-on one support. Many students find it easier to focus in an environment that is more suitable for them. While students will also have the ability to complete their work at their pace, they will be required to complete weekly assignments and schedule regular check-ins with their teacher to ensure they are progressing successfully through the program.
|1. Workforce Development|
|2. Medical Terminology & Anatomy and Physiology|
|4. Medical Patient Management|
|5. Billing and Coding|
|6. 10 – Key|
|7. NCCT ICS Test Prep|
What should I expect from the online program?
- Every Monday, the teacher in charge will release course work that needs to be completed by end of the week.
- A minimum 20 of hours per week of course will be assigned per class.
- Type of possible course work:
- Electronic/online lectures, videos, eBook readings, internet reading, teacher led discussion boards, online recorded/live meetings, online group presentations.
- Depending on the program, a student will have one to three classes per week.
What are some basic guidelines to be successful in an Online program
- Have a computer or laptop that meets the basic computer/laptop basic specs
- Have a tablet or mobile device that meets the basic tablet/mobile device basic specs
- Access other to tablets, mobile phone that has ability to connect to the internet and able to download appropriate software
- Must be Computer savvy and be able to be able to navigate easily throughout the different programs easily
- Must be internet savvy
What are the basic specs for computer and laptops?
A computer with the following basic specs should be sufficient for online distance learning
- 80 GB hard drive or higher
- 2 GB RAM or higher
- 0 GHz Intel or AMD processor
- Windows XP or Windows 7 or later/ OS 10.6 or later
- MS Office 2007 or later, Office 2008 (for MAC) or later
- Internet Explorer 8.0 or later, Firefox 3.6 or later, Google Chrome 7.0 or later
- Safari 5.0 or later
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.0 or later
- Anti-virus program (updated regularly)
- Computer microphone and speakers
- Web Camera
- High-speed Wi-Fi connection obtained either at home (preferred for the best study setting) or via an outside source, such as the library.
What are the basic specs for mobile devices?
A tablet and mobile device with the following basic specs should be sufficient for online distance learning:
- Android 5.0+ operating system
- Chrome browser
- Latest version
- iOS® operating system
- Safari, Chrome browser
- The latest minor or point release of the most recent two major versions of iOS.
- Windows 10 operating system
- Chrome, Firefox, Edge browsers
- Latest of all browsers and Firefiox ESR
|Passing rate on Industry Certification Exam||100%|
|Placement rate (field of study)||80%|
Labor Market Information
|Annual Wages for 2018|| Low
|Sacramento Metro Area||$36,780||$45,939||$63,578|
Where Could This Job Lead?
In large health information departments, they may promote to section supervisor, where they oversee the work of the coding, release of information, or record processing sections.
- You must have a High school diploma or equivalent.
- You must pass both a reading and math placement exam.
Financial assistance may be available to qualified individuals through the Sacramento Works Job Center as funds are available, for Job Centers near you, click here. Through the newtwork of Job Centers, Sacramento Works can provide job seekers a variety of services that fit their needs.
If you are a client of the Sacramento County Department of Human Assistance or the State Department of Rehabilitation you should inquire with your counselor about whether you qualify for financial assistance.
EGACE’s CTI program currently does not accept FASFA or Pell Grants.
Are your ready to start? Next steps
Call (916) 686-7724 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the program, and schedule assessment, and intake orientation.
EGACE-CTI Office Location:9362 Elk Grove-Florin Road
Elk Grove, CA 95624